Set in a beautiful gulf, lapped by crystal clear sea, Castellammare del
Golfo is one of the most beautiful coastlines in Sicily. Wrapped in an
atmosphere jealously tied to its traditions, Castellammare has conserved
all of its stupendous natural scenery, monuments and lanes that make up
the historical center, dominated by the castle, the antique outpost of the
city, which today houses a permanent museum and exhibitions.
Castellammare was born as the Port of close by Segesta (Emporium
Segestanorum) and since the arrival of the Arabs its history has been
identified with the city.
When the Arabs arrived in the early 1800’s the town was named Al Madarig.
At the beginning of the second millennium, Castellammare was first an
important Norman fortress, then for the Svevis and then the battle
centre between the Argons and the Aragonese. The war ended with the
victory of Federico II and commercial activities by the Argons was
forbidden due to treason.
Castellammare grew again after the Vespers, in the Aragonese period
(1281-1410) when the town was baronial and owned by Federico d'Antiochia
and became an important commercial center linked to grain export.
In 1700 and 1800 the town continued to grow as a result of the economic
development of the Port.